Getting a Working Permit in The Netherlands
The Netherlands is in general strict in granting working permits. To acquire a working permit in The Netherlands one of the most used schemes is the Highly Skilled Migrant Scheme or in lesser extent the Blue Card. We will discuss shortly what this scheme entails.
For citizens of the U.S.A. there are other less strict requirements. Please click on this link to see the requirements for U.S.A. citizens.
Highly Skilled Migrant Scheme
The acquisition of a working permit in The Netherlands can be achieved through the highly skilled migrant scheme. The highly skilled migrant scheme has two conditions:
- Salary : In order to be regarded as a highly skilled migrant, the foreign employee must earn at least the following salary:
- Highly skilled migrant 30 years or older: €4.840 gross per month,
- Highly skilled migrant younger than 30 years: €3.549 gross per month
- Reduced salary criterion after orientation year: €2.543 gross per month
Furthermore PhD students employed by educational or research institutions, and university lecturers as well as postdoctoral researchers under the age of thirty can be regarded as highly skilled migrants. There is no salary criterion for this group.
The salary must be aligned with market standards. The IND will check whether the salary level relates to the salary of others who perform similar functions at other similar business.
- The second condition of the highly skilled migrant scheme is that the employer must be a so- called sponsor recognized by the IND.
A recognized sponsor must have enough liquidity to pay the salary of the highly skilled migrant if it is to be admitted to the highly skilled migrant scheme. Also the continuity of the business must be sufficiently guaranteed.
To be admitted to the highly skilled migrant scheme, a company must submit an application to the IND.
For information about the procedure for admission as a recognized sponsor and about applying for a working permit for highly skilled migrants or Blue Card, please contact us we are happy to help you.