migration law

Apply for a declaration of urgency

In case of an emergency, you can apply for a declaration of urgency (urgentieverklaring). With this declaration, you will get a one-time offer for social housing.

Examples of emergency situations

  • Calamity or fire
    Your house is uninhabitable for at least 4 months.
  • Serious medical problem
    You urgently have to move  to another independent home.
  • Serious threat
    You need to have filed a police report that proves you can’t stay in your house any longer.
  • Divorce
    You and your children have no home. You must have claimed your house before a court of law and this claim was rejected.
  • Eviction
    If you and your children are to be evicted because you can’t pay housing costs due to circumstances beyond your control.

Conditions for a declaration of urgency:

  • You are at least 18 years old.
  • You have the Dutch nationality, a EU passport or document of the EU or the EER (European Economic Space), or a residence permit.
  • At the time of application, you must be registered as a resident in Amsterdam for at least 4 years.
  • Your taxable annual income is less than € 44,035 for a one-person household, or € 48,625 for a household of more people (criteria 2023).
  • You are able to live independently and you are not living in a healthcare facility.
  • You have no problematic debts.
  • In case of an eviction: you already applied for municipal support and receive support for the cost of living.
  • Maximum points at a housing corporation (WoningNet):
    Household up to 3 persons: less than 13 waiting points
    Household of at least 4 persons: less than 15 waiting points.

If your application for a declaration for urgency got rejected you can go into appeal. Matpanozer advocatuur can help you with this appeal. Feel free to call us for more information.