Migration Law

Machtiging tot voorlopig verblijf (mvv) permit

Do you live in a non-EU country and would you like to stay in the Netherlands for more then 90 days? In most cases you then need a permit. The permit you need is a combination of the procedure ‘Toegang en Verblijf’(TEV) and ‘machtiging tot voorlopig verblijf’(MVV).

Nationality is a deciding factor

Your nationality is a deciding factor if you need a mvv. Also if you don’t live in your country of birt or have a residence permit in another country.

If you have the nationality of one of the below countries you don’t need a mvv.

  • Australia
  • Canada
  • Japan
  • Monaco
  • New Zealand
  • Vatican
  • United States of America
  • South Korea

Do you have a EU nationality or Swiss? Then it’s not necessary to apply for a residence permit or mvv. Are you a familymember of a person with an EU or Swiss nationality? Then it’s not needed to get a mvv upfront.


If you apply for a mvv and residence permit you need a reason. Examples are study, work, or visiting a family member. For every reason of the
application there are conditions and rules which you have to comply with.

Request for Machtiging tot voorlopig verblijf

Most of the times a referent in the Netherlands requests your mvv. A referent is the person you are visiting in the Netherlands or the organisation who is requesting your stay in the Netherlands. The referent contacts the IND for the mvv.

It is recommended to let a professional assist you in the process of obtaining a mvv. Documents not filled in correctly will be rejected by the IND. For more information and assistance feel free to contact us.